Radiology Residency - Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis
The Baptist Radiology Residency Program offers an exciting environment for progressive post-graduate radiology training in an integrated system of hospitals and ancillary patient-care settings. The program provides structured opportunities for independent learning through various clinical rotations. This program represents a longstanding relationship between Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis and Mid-South Imaging & Therapeutics (MSIT), P.A. To help ensure that our residents receive the best possible preparation for the American Board of Radiology board exam, we have modified our curriculum to provide earlier exposure in mammography, interventional radiology, nuclear medicine, and other areas. The Baptist Memorial Health Care Radiology Residency Program participates in the National Intern/Residency Match Program for senior medical students. The Residency Match Program can also assist applicants in obtaining local internships.
For more information, view our Baptist Graduate Medical Education Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Excellent exposure to diverse pathology
- Early access to advanced imaging modalities and procedures (no fellows)
- Six residents per class for a manageable call schedule
- Consistent placement of residents into top fellowship programs
- Collegial learning environment, where residents are well respected by both radiology and hospital staff
- EPIC Electronic Medical Record with Baptist OneCare
- Daily noon conference with a mix of didactic lectures and interactive case review
- Weekly Grainger and Allison Presentations led by 1st-year residents
- Monthly Journal Club, M&M, Tumor Boards (Head and Neck, Thoracic, Lymphoma, GI/GU)
Benefits and Perks
- 23 days of paid vacation per year
- StatDx and RADPRIMER access
- $2,000 conference stipends
- Health and dental insurance through Baptist Memorial Hospital
- Fully funded meals through the Physician’s Dining Room
In addition to the benefits listed above, MSIT provides the following benefits:
- $1,000 annual book fund
- $3,000 AIRP and $5,000 additional conference stipends
- Personal Laptop
For more information on MSIT, please visit their site at: https://www.msit.com/about/residency-program.
Memphis: With its relatively low cost of living, cultural diversity, abundant green spaces, and short drives from the heart of the city to the mountains, Memphis is a perk all its own.
- 1st Year: Complete month-long core rotations in Chest, GI/GU (x2), Body CT (x2), Neuroradiology (x2), Interventional Radiology (x2), Mammography, Nuclear Medicine, and Inpatient Fluoroscopy
- 2nd Year: Further exposure to Musculoskeletal, Pediatric Radiology (2 months in the 2nd year at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital)
- 3rd Year: Pediatric Radiology (1 month in the 3rd year at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital), Musculoskeletal, American Institute for Radiologic Pathology (AIRP) (3rd or 4th year)
- 4th Year: Electives, AIRP (3rd or 4th year), advanced Chest/Cardiovascular radiology with exposure to Cardiac MRI
Equipment and Technology
Baptist is the only facility in the Mid-South that is accredited in cardiac imaging and one of two accredited for breast imaging by the American College of Radiology (ACR). Residents read a high volume of cases from a large network of scanners including:
- 24 MRI scanners with three 3.0 Tesla magnets and three new wide bore MRIs.
- Sentinelle breast table capable of performing diagnostic breast and breast biopsy with a 3Tesla magnet strength
- Prostate and Rectal Cancer MRI
Other 3Tesla magnet studies include:
- Cardiac morphology
- BOLD (blood oxygenated level dependent) brain scans
- DTI studies
- Perfusion studies
Interventional Radiology (IR)
- The IR department comprises a total of 4 Siemens angiography suites including one biplane suite. Software packages include DynaCT cone beam CT imaging, needle guidance, vessel tracking (Perivision), digital subtraction angiography, and roadmapping. Each suite is equipped with RaySafe real time radiation monitoring.
- In addition, there are 2 dedicated 16 slice Siemens and 1 64 slice Phillips CT scanners for procedural image guidance. The department also has access to 4 dedicated ultrasound units for guided procedures.
Computerized Tomography (CT) and Ultrasound (US)
Residents read a high volume of cases from a large network of scanners including:
- 26 CT scanners including Dual Energy scanners.
- Primary Stroke Center accredited by Joint Commission. The CT department plays an important role with the stroke patients providing initial CT Head procedure and advanced imaging with CT Brain Perfusion study.
- Cardiac and Coronary CTA studies performed at 4 sites
- 2D shear wave ultrasound elastography for liver fibrosis assessment
- Two PET/CT scanners with leading-edge gamma cameras
- SPECT CT
- Recently acquired a new nuclear medicine camera, GE Discovery 630. Used for cardiac perfusion SPECT imaging.
- Ultra SPECT software enables our cameras to acquire cardiac spect images in half the time previously required.
Radiology Residency Contact Information
Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis
Department of Radiology, Attn.: Jenny Lindsey
6019 Walnut Grove Road MAP
Memphis, TN 38120