Estimate Your Out-of-Pocket Baptist Medical Expenses
Two Tools for Pricing Transparency
Researching your medical costs can be very complicated. At Baptist Memorial Health Care, we're making it easier. As part of our efforts to be a national leader in price transparency, we offer two unique tools to help you get an accurate estimate of your out-of-pocket expenses for hundreds of different procedures and services. Whether you have insurance or not, you can get a customized estimate for your care at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis and our other Baptist Memorial Hospital facilities in West Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas.
Guest Estimator Calculator
Our new Guest Estimator is a Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)-compliant calculating tool that uses our electronic medical records database to give you an estimate of your out-of-pocket costs based on your location, procedure or service, and your specific insurance plan. The Guest Estimator provides costs for a select range of outpatient or inpatient procedures to allow you to compare our costs to other facilities'.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, CMS, is part of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that administers the nation’s major healthcare programs including Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP, and the state and federal health insurance marketplaces. The agency aims to provide a healthcare system with better care, access to coverage, and improved health. To further that mission, starting January 1, 2021, each hospital operating in the United States is required to provide clear, accessible pricing information online about the procedures and services they provide in two formats:
- In a display of shoppable services in a consumer-friendly format.
- As a comprehensive machine-readable file listing all items and services.
Our new Guest Estimator helps us meet the first requirement of presenting our patients with a consumer-friendly format to compare prices across hospitals and estimate their out of pocket cost before going to the hospital.
Baptist Expense Navigator
Or, you can use our original Baptist Expense Navigator, a medical cost calculator that averages the costs of a near comprehensive set of outpatient procedures and inpatient case categories at Baptist Memorial Hospital locations. Whether you have Medicare, other insurance or are uninsured, the Expense Navigator can help you better plan for your Baptist medical expenses.
Disclaimer: Estimates created by Guest Estimator and Baptist Expense Navigator are not guaranteed, and may change due to a number of other factors.
Understanding Hospital "Charges"
A hospital "charge" is not the same as "expected payment." "Charge" is the amount billed for a service. In the vast majority of cases, hospitals are paid considerably less than the billed amount. Because each person's case is different based on that patient's medical condition, a given patient's charge will not necessarily be the same as the average or median charge. Furthermore, the actual amount paid by a patient will depend on that patient's insurance coverage.
To obtain a machine-readable list of these standard charges from the Charge Description Master (CDM) or by Diagnosis Related Group (DRG) for our Baptist Memorial Hospital facilities in West Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas, please choose one of the selections below.
AMA Disclaimer (click here to read full disclaimer)
CPT codes, descriptions and other data only are copyright 1995 - 2018 American Medical Association. All rights reserved. CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association (AMA). Any use not authorized herein is prohibited, including by way of illustration and not by way of limitation, making copies of CPT for resale and/or license, transferring copies of CPT to any party not bound by this agreement, creating any modified or derivative work of CPT, or making any commercial use of CPT. License to use CPT for any use not authorized herein must be obtained through the AMA, CPT Intellectual Property Services, AMA Plaza, 330 N. Wabash Ave., Suite 39300, Chicago, IL 60611-5885. Applications are available at the AMA Web site, http://www.ama-assn.org/go/cpt.
This product includes CPT which is commercial technical data and/or computer data bases and/or commercial computer software and/or commercial computer software documentation, as applicable which were developed exclusively at private expense by the American Medical Association, 515 North State Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60654. U.S. Government rights to use, modify, reproduce, release, perform, display, or disclose these technical data and/or computer data bases and/or computer software and/or computer software documentation are subject to the limited rights restrictions of DFARS 252.227-7015(b)(2) (November 1995) and/or subject to the restrictions of DFARS 227.7202-1(a) (June 1995) and DFARS 227.7202-3(a) (June 1995), as applicable for U.S. Department of Defense procurements and the limited rights restrictions of FAR 52.227-14 (June 1987) and/or subject to the restricted rights provisions of FAR 52.227-14 (June 1987) and FAR 52.227-19 (June 1987), as applicable, and any applicable agency FAR Supplements, for non-Department of Defense Federal procurements.
AMA Disclaimer of Warranties and Liabilities.
CPT is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The AMA does not directly or indirectly practice medicine or dispense medical services. The responsibility for the content of this file/product is with Baptist Memorial Health Care Corporation (BMHCC) and no endorsement by the AMA is intended or implied. The AMA disclaims responsibility for any consequences or liability attributable to or related to any use, non-use, or interpretation of information contained or not contained in this file/product. This agreement will terminate upon notice if you violate its terms. The AMA is a third party beneficiary to this agreement.
The scope of this license is determined by the AMA, the copyright holder. Any questions pertaining to the license or use of the CPT should be addressed to the AMA. End Users do not act for or on behalf of BMHCC. BMHCC DISCLAIMS RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LIABILITY ATTRIBUTABLE TO END USER USE OF THE CPT. BMHCC WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIMS ATTRIBUTABLE TO ANY ERRORS, OMISSIONS, OR OTHER INACCURACIES IN THE INFORMATION OR MATERIAL CONTAINED ON THIS PAGE. In no event shall BMHCC be liable for direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of the use of such information or material.
Standard Charges - Charge Description Master Data
- BMC Attala Standard Charges (.XLSX, 660 KB)
- BMH Booneville Standard Charges (.XLSX, 1.7 MB)
- BMH Calhoun Standard Charges (.XLSX, 174 KB)
- BMH Desoto Standard Charges (.XLSX, 678 KB)
- BMC Leake Standard Charges (.XLSX, 678 KB)
- BMH Golden Triangle Standard Charges (.XLSX, 2 MB)
- BMC Jackson Standard Charges (.XLSX, 795 KB)
- BMH North Mississippi Standard Charges (.XLSX, 2.1 MB)
- BMH Union County Standard Charges (.XLSX, 1.8 MB)
- BMC Yazoo Standard Charges (.XLSX, 677 KB)
- BMH Caroll County Standard Charges (.XLSX, 1.7 MB)
- BMH Children's Standard Charges (.XLSX, 2.5 MB)
- BMH Collierville Standard Charges (.XLSX, 2.5 MB)
- BMH Memphis Standard Charges (.XLSX, 2.5 MB)
- BMH Restorative Care Standard Charges (.XLSX, 2.5 MB)
- BMH Tipton Standard Charges (.XLSX, 1.7 MB)
- BMH Union City Standard Charges (.XLSX, 1.8 MB)
- BMH Women's Standard Charges (.XLSX, 2.5 MB)
Standard Charges - By Diagnosis Related Group
The second CMS format requires a comprehensive listing of all items and services in a machine readable format noting standard charges for these categories:
- Gross charges
- Discounted cash price
- Payer-specific negotiated charges
- De-identified minimum and maximum negotiated charges
The gross and negotiated charges are based on historical patient activity. These will be updated periodically.
To obtain a machine-readable list of these standard charges from the Charge Description Master (CDM) or by Diagnosis Related Group (DRG) for our Baptist Memorial Hospital facilities in West Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas, please choose one of the selections below. These files are generated using an interaction of actual patient activity with Baptist’s contracted payors to present a modeled reimbursement by item.
- BMC Attala Standard Charges (.ZIP, 6.1 MB)
- BMH Booneville Standard Charges (.ZIP, 4.4 MB)
- BMH Calhoun Standard Charges (.ZIP, 1.6 MB)
- BMH Desoto Standard Charges (.ZIP, 7.1 MB)
- BMC Leake Standard Charges (.ZIP, 6.0 MB)
- BMH Golden Triangle Standard Charges (.ZIP, 5.5 MB)
- BMC Jackson Standard Charges (.ZIP, 5.2 MB)
- BMH North Mississippi Standard Charges (.ZIP, 6.0 MB)
- BMH Union County Standard Charges (.ZIP, 4.8 MB)
- BMC Yazoo Standard Charges (.ZIP, 6.4 MB)
- BMH Carroll County Standard Charges (.ZIP, 6.9 MB)
- BMH Children's Standard Charges (.ZIP, 7.1 MB)
- BMH Collierville Standard Charges (.ZIP, 7.7 MB)
- BMH Memphis Standard Charges (.ZIP, 20.0 MB)
- BMH Tipton Standard Charges (.ZIP, 6.5 MB)
- BMH Union City Standard Charges (.ZIP, 7.1 MB)
- BMH Women's Standard Charges (.ZIP, 7.1 MB)