Sleep Disorder Treatment at Baptist
Baptist is your trusted source for questions about sleep apnea and other sleep disorders.
Download free sleep disorder podcasts.
Learn more about sleep disorders and other health issues through Baptist's My Health Break to Go Podcasts
Baptist sleep disorder centers treat a variety of sleep-related problems, including:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea is a nighttime breathing disorder. Signs of this disorder include loud snoring, abnormal breathing and excessive daytime sleepiness. Lung problems, heart problems and stroke may complicate this disorder.
- Narcolepsy is a disorder of excessive daytime sleepiness, characterized by sudden and uncontrollable attacks of deep sleep.
- Restless Legs Syndrome and Periodic Limb Movement Disorder are discomforts or twitching in the legs that occurs after going to bed causing sleep disruption. The restless legs syndrome can be seen in up to 30 percent of patients older than age 65.
- Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related behaviors that range from night terrors to sleep walking.
- Insomnia is the chronic inability to fall asleep or remain asleep for an adequate length of time.
Indications of a sleep disorder
- Loud, irregular snoring
- Witnessed repetitive stop breathing episodes at night
- Daytime sleepiness despite an adequate amount of sleep at night
- Episodes of falling asleep in inappropriate situations
- Restless legs in the evening or at night
Practices conducive to good sleep
- Sleep only when drowsy
- Minimize light, noise and extreme temperatures
- Avoid strenuous exercise six hours before bedtime
- Avoid large meals, caffeine, alcohol and nicotine before bedtime
- Avoid napping during the daytime
- Avoid lying in bed unable to sleep
- Maintain a regular arise time, even on days off and on weekends