Baptist Pediatric Services
Children are naturally susceptible to sickness, injuries and accidents. Their immune systems are still getting stronger, giving them a higher risk of catching contagious illnesses. Plus, children are inherently curious and may therefore get into more accidents that lead to injury.
As a parent or guardian, you do what you can to keep your children safe and healthy. But if an accident does happen or your child does get sick, Baptist's pediatricians and child-centered health care approach are here for you. Baptist offers a number of specialized pediatric services and locations, including:
When to Visit a Pediatric Hospital
More than 25 million children are taken to an emergency room every year. It's natural for parents to assume the worst when their child is unwell (such as in the case of a fever or bad cough); however, not every condition requires the immediacy of a pediatric emergency room. It's important to know when to schedule an appointment with your child's pediatrician versus when to visit an emergency room.
Take your child to Baptist's pediatric emergency room if they experience any of the following:
- A high fever (if the child is less than 2 months old). Fever is a temperature above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Broken bone (especially if there is massive swelling)
- Head trauma
- Loss of consciousness
- Heavy, fast or difficulty breathing
- Signs of dehydration (dry lips and mouth, absence of urination for more than 12 hours, lethargy and confusion)
- Gaping cuts or wounds, especially in young children
- Serious burns (second or third degree)
If your child experiences any of the following, schedule an appointment with a pediatric physician:
- Cold or flu symptoms
- Sore throat
- Ear infection symptoms (drainage from the ear, ear ache and pulling on the ears)
- Fever (if the child is older than two months)
- Pink eye symptoms (red, inflamed eyes with or without discharge)
- Vomiting or diarrhea (without dehydration or belly pain
- Minor sprains
- Stomachache or nausea
- Urinary tract infections
Learn more about when to schedule a pediatric appointment and other patient information on our Pediatric FAQs page, or browse a list of Baptist pediatric services locations to find one near you.