Baptist Hospital Visitor Guide
Baptist Memorial Hospitals welcome visitors concerned about friends or family who are patients at our hospitals. Among our top priorities is the safety of both patients and visitors. To maintain that safety, please follow these guidelines when visiting a patient:
- Baptist hospital campuses are designated as tobacco-free. Smoking or other use of tobacco products is not permitted anywhere on our campuses. Policy details.
- Please be sensitive to the patient's condition and feelings in determining the length of your visit.
- Please wash hands before and after shaking hands, hugging or otherwise touching the patient. Please be mindful of any sensitive or painful areas the patient may have.
- Please refrain from jarring or sitting on a patient's bed since doing so could interfere with equipment being used to monitor or treat the patient.
- Please be careful not to change any settings and to avoid contact with any equipment in the room. Pay careful attention to electrical cords, tubing and wires so that you do not cause them to become compressed in any way.
- Please be sensitive to wearing or bringing items with strong scents or odors, such as perfume or smoke, into the patient's room as the scent may be bothersome to the patient.
- Please notify the nurse if you notice any significant changes in the patient's medical condition during your visit.
- The hospital recommends that each patient have no more than two visitors at any one time.
- As a general rule, children younger than 12 years of age are not encouraged to visit patient areas. (Exceptions may be granted by the charge nurse. Approval must be given for each individual visit, and an adult must accompany children.)
- Family members staying overnight must stay in the patient’s room, and only one visitor is allowed to stay in a private room overnight.
- Under certain circumstances, each patient’s physician or nurse may limit the amount of time and/or number of visitors a patient may have.
- Food and beverages are available in the hospital cafeteria and vending areas. We ask that all visitors please eat only in the hospital dining room or in patient rooms. Eating and drinking is not allowed in corridors or lobby areas. All food and beverages must be covered while being transported through the hospital.
- Please refrain from talking loudly or running in the hospital corridors.