Next Step Day Treatment Persons Served
- Individuals with a variety of medical conditions with emphasis on Stroke, Spinal Cord Injury, Major Multiple Trauma, Brain Injury, Neurological Disorders
- Rancho scale – V (confused, non-agitated, maximal assistance, alert) or higher
- Traumatic and non-traumatic spinal cord injuries – Complete C-5 and lower; All incomplete spinal cord injuries
- Meets admission criteria for Next Step Program
- Reasonable expectation to enhance independence and/or participation in a community environment upon program completion.
- Medically stable – able to breathe without the assistance of a ventilator
- Patients with psychological or behavioral issues are excluded from admission if determined to be harmful to self or others
Age of Person Served
- Adolescent (13-17), adult, geriatric
In 2012, the Next Step program discharged 46 patients aged 24-85 with an average age of 58 years old. There were 3 adolescents served in 2011 (2 brain injury, 1 major multi-trauma) and 1 adolescent served in 2010 (brain injury). Overall in 2012, the Next Step program served 26 patients with stroke, 16 patients with Brain Injury and 4 patients with neurologic conditions.